|Category||Fulfillment & Operations Management||Job type||Full Time|
|Country||United States of America|
ABOUT THE HIRE OUR HEROES CORPORATE FELLOWSHIP (HOH CFP) PROGRAM
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation, a non-profit organization, launched the Hiring Our Heroes (HOH) initiative in March 2011 as a nationwide initiative to help veterans, and transitioning service members find meaningful employment opportunities, mainly through grassroots engagement such as hiring fairs and events. In 2015, a pilot cohort of the Corporate Fellowship Program launched out of Joint Base Lewis McChord from a local agency, aiming to connect experienced leaders from the military with management-level corporate positions, was developed under the guidelines of the Department of Defense's SkillBridge job training program. In 2017 the Corporate Fellowship Program was incorporated under the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation's Hiring Our Heroes initiative to provide transitioning service members with management training and hands-on experience in the civilian workforce, expanding corporate America's understanding of the veteran job market and preparing those individuals for smooth transitions into meaningful civilian careers.
Amazon has been sponsoring the Corporate Fellowship Program from the very beginning in 2015 and has continued to sponsor it to present day under the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation. The program is expanding quickly across the U.S. launching into different parts of the nation every year and is now serving the military community and businesses around the US! Program details below:
• Selected candidates for the Operations Manager role will be trained within an Amazon operation site. Projected training sites will be in/around Carteret, NJ.
• After successful completion of the program, the selected Operations Managers will be placed in Carteret, NJ.
At Amazon, we have a peculiar culture built on pioneering into unknown and new frontiers. From selling books to creating the Kindle; from making films to launching faster delivery, Amazon reinvents normal. After selling the first book in 1995, we have grown at an incredible rate and have become the universe's most customer-centric company. By hiring those who take risks and find fulfillment through making the impossible commonplace, Amazon cultivates a culture of innovation. Every employee at Amazon has the power to forge their own path and to have a true impact on the business...and we find that exhilarating!
Read more about us at amazon.com/about
When we hire you at Amazon, we hire for the future. With unlimited career opportunities, Amazon invests in ensuring our teams are always challenged, constantly learning from each other, and are creatively contributing to our next big idea. You will be surrounded by the best innovators of our time and we welcome you to make history with us regardless of minority, female, gender identity, disability, or sexual orientation. We value diversity!
See why diversity is important to us at amazon.com/diversity
ABOUT AMAZON OPERATIONS
Operations is at the heart of Amazon business. We are known for our speed, accuracy, and exceptional service. Our buildings deliver tens of thousands of products to hundreds of countries worldwide, every day. In these key roles, you'll come help us exceed productivity goals and deliver against our customer promises. Our scale is expansive and our presence is growing - some of our centers across the United States and Canada are over 1 million square feet! Our goal is simple: to offer the world's greatest selection of products and services with the world's best customer experience.
Watch videos on our team members at youtube.com/playlist?list=PLu6W86LChii5Lgzcbu8iF8Nc35u_vOtCQ
As an Operations Manager, you will have the opportunity to lead an inbound operation, outbound operation, or a functional process on a specified shift or across multiple shifts within an Amazon Fulfillment Center. You will be responsible for leading, developing and engaging a team of exceptional talent that makes innovation possible. One of your main focuses will be motivating, mentoring and coaching your team to become the best leaders they can be. To achieve this, Operations Managers are creative problem solvers who are able to dream in immense scale, interpret big data and deliver meaningful results that keenly drive productivity and efficiency. Some of the position's key responsibilities include:
• Supporting all safety programs and OSHA compliance to ensure a safe work environment for all associates and managers
• Leading and developing a team of 3-7 Area Managers (front-line supervisors) and 100-300 hourly associates by embodying Amazon's Leadership Principles
• Acting as the primary information source for the team, maintaining compliance and consistency and taking corrective action when needed
• Mentoring, training and developing teammates for career progression, performance improvement and recognition purposes
• Creating, communicating and maintaining quality control policies and standard work procedures to Area Managers and associates
• Proactively identifying and leading process improvement initiatives using Lean tools to delight customers
• Building and delivering productivity plans by reviewing work forecasts, determining productivity requirements and partnering with other Operations Managers to balance labor
• Evaluating performance objectives and metrics to determine inbound or outbound productivity requirements to achieve customer time, accuracy, and quality expectations
• Partnering with other managers to share best practices across shifts and the network
We are committed to developing a diverse workforce and we are even more committed to working with you to make that happen. Depending on the type of job, you will be required to engage in physical warehouse activities with or without reasonable accommodation. These activities include the following:
• Lifting and moving material up to 49 pounds each
• Bending, lifting, stretching and reaching both below the waist and above the head
• Frequent walking in the building and around area; facilities are over a quarter mile in length
• Standing and walking for up to 10-12 hours a day
• Ascending and descending ladders, stairs and gangways safely and without limitation
What do we offer?
Amazon offers competitive compensation packages including comprehensive healthcare benefits starting on Day 1 and up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave. We grant each employee ownership in the company, including Amazon stock awards and a matching 401(k) program. But, if you're not in it for those perks, here is one more: we don't wear suits and ties! Come as you are because jeans, t-shirts, sneakers and sometimes a neon safety vest will be your daily outfit. Jeff Bezos's most recent letter to shareholders sums it all up pretty well. Find it at https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1018724/000119312516530910/d168744dex991.htm
• A Bachelor's Degree or 2+ years Amazon (blue badge/FTE) experience
• 3+ years of direct management experience for employees and their performance
• Work a flexible schedule/shift/work area, including weekends, nights, and/or holidays
• Approved to participate in the Skillbridge program from May 3- July 23 with your military installation command, click here to learn more about the application process: https://dodskillbridge.usalearning.gov/how-to-apply.htm
• Within final 180 days of transition from Military Service
• You have a bachelor's degree
• You have 5 or more years of management experience in a manufacturing, production, or distribution environment. You also have experience motivating and leading a contingent workforce
• You are leader and exhibit that in your everyday work. You not only have experience in managing front-line supervisors, you also lead large-scale process improvements through Lean process, Kaizen, and Six Sigma
• You have the ability to thrive in an ambiguous environment, and when given a deadline you know how to motivate yourself, your managers and associates and meet it
• You don't hesitate in public speaking or writing a paper. You have strong verbal and written communication skills
• You enjoy working with numbers and using data to provide thought-provoking and workable solutions. Data is what you look to when given a problem to solve
• You volunteer to lead projects and help your team achieve goals. You have a track record of taking ownership and driving results.
• You like adventures and taking risks. You are willing to relocate to any of our sites in the country with the assistance provided
• You see value in long term thinking and large scale impact to a company. You have interest in developing a long-term career through assignments in multiple operational buildings across the nation
• Excellent military record demonstrating significant levels of responsibility and leadership experiences in challenging, high-operational-tempo assignments.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.