|Category||Hardware Development||Job type||Full Time|
|Country||United States of America|
Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile devices like the Kindle family of products. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc. Since then, we have worked to produce best-selling e-readers and tablets, as well as new inventions like Echo and Fire TV. What will you help us create?
Work hard. Have fun. Make history.
As a Senior System Architect, you will be responsible for developing the system architecture for Amazon Lab126's exciting consumer product line. As the technical partner working closely with the product management and business team, you drive tradeoff analyses involved in the various product concepts being evaluated and propose options for concepts that may have little precedent. The key deliverable is a system architecture specification. You translate the user requirements into product requirements, define and selects the key components (compute, power, memory, connectivity etc) and provide relevant risk guidance for the engineering team. As the product is developed from initial concept, prototype development, validation through to production you stay engaged as the overall technical lead to ensure the product requirements are being met. Throughout this process the system architect works closely with multi-disciplinary groups including Product Design, Industrial Design, Hardware Engineering, Software Engineering, Reliability and Operations.
You have sufficient breadth across system domains to be able to independently lead and define the architecture of new products. Besides breadth, you also typically bring depth in one or more areas of expertise to the team. You are a hands-on technical lead who is close to the details and validates architecture assumptions. For example you profile existing systems to ensure resource projections meet the requirements. In some cases you will also be required to develop simulation or software models to validate assumptions.
The role requires working cross-functionally and developing innovations as part of Lab's technology roadmap. As part of technology development you contribute towards developing IP and filing patents.
In this role, you will:
• Gather business and functional requirements from external/internal customers, and translate requirements into technical specifications and architectures that are robust, scalable and supportable
• Perform architecture feasibility analysis and make recommendations to senior management regarding product architecture options
• Develop and document architecture specifications that serve as the reference for engineering and execution
• Serve as technical lead throughout the full development lifecycle, end-to-end, from scoping, planning, conception, design, implementation and testing, to documentation, delivery and maintenance
• Provide design and validation reviews for other engineers, including feedback on architecture and design issues, as well as integration, performance and scalability.
• Drive technology roadmaps in areas of expertise to drive innovation and meet the needs of the long term product roadmap.
• Work closely with Silicon and component suppliers to influence roadmaps to meet Lab126 needs.
• Bachelor's degree in Electronic Engineering or related field
• 5+ years of experience in a Silicon/Embedded Software/System architecture capacity
• Experience architecting or implementing consumer electronics hardware
• Background in SoC/Silicon architecture and/or embedded software engineering
• Experience working as a Technical Lead
• Master's degree
• Depth in one or more areas of expertise: embedded MCU/SoC compute cores, battery-operated embedded systems, compute accelerators, memory/storage, speech/audio, imaging and/or computer vision, power delivery or storage, wireless connectivity, embedded firmware etc.
• Familiarity with embedded software development and debugging: GNU/Linux device drivers, firmware, IDE (ex: Eclipse, Visual Studio)
• with self-starter and initiative
• Strong communication skills & ability to clearly document technical solutions & architectures
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us//